Canine influenza is a current growing concern in Ontario, as discussed in our January blog (https://www.auroraanimalclinic.com/canine-influenza-virus/).
Here are where things stand, as per Dr.Weese at OVC:
- The outbreak in the Windsor area seems to be under control, there haven’t been any new cases reported
- The Muskoka/Orillia area does have a few new cases in the past few weeks, but otherwise is seemingly well controlled
- Northumberland is still experiencing an outbreak, theirs has been harder to control as they cannot figure out where the source is (i.e dog park, grooming salon, dog shows etc)
- Avoid taking unvaccinated dogs to these areas
- Avoid high dog traffic areas i.e. dog parks, festivals, etc
- Be vigilant about socializing dogs
We do have Canine Influenza vaccines available for owners who feel their dog is at a high risk of coming in contact with Influenza. We are not necessarily recommending that every dog receive one, but vaccinating on a case by case basis.
Written by Caitlin Johnston, RVT